April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Quoting in Critiques

Changes
Where to find the workshop / critique boards.

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter

riverwriter
Site Admin

Quoting in Critiques

Postby riverwriter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:02 pm

I note that we have started quoting in just about every crit. (I did it recently)

May I suggest that --- while it makes critiquing less cumbersome to use the "Quote" button so that the poem is in front of you while you write the crit --- unless there is a very good reason to leave the quote in the crit, you DELETE the full poem quote before posting?

There are some advantages to this policy:

1. It saves scrolling when you read the crits.
2. It saves database space on the server.

Your co-operation is appreciated.

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Re: Quoting in Critiques

Postby Agnes » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:35 pm

riverwriter wrote:I note that we have started quoting in just about every crit. (I did it recently)

May I suggest that --- while it makes critiquing less cumbersome to use the "Quote" button so that the poem is in front of you while you write the crit --- unless there is a very good reason to leave the quote in the crit, you DELETE the full poem quote before posting?

There are some advantages to this policy:

1. It saves scrolling when you read the crits.
2. It saves database space on the server.

Your co-operation is appreciated.

Is this really a problem as far as database space? Because that's the only reason I would see to limit quoting. Lately, the place is lucky to get 10 posts a week. Hardly a strain on the scrolling finger. :smt002
And when you don't have the poem in the quote with the crit, people are going to have to scroll to the beginning of the thread to see the original poem for reference anyway. Yes? No? Maybe? What day is it? How far do I have to scroll before I get to Friday?

:smt006

Cat Sith
Renga Wrangler

Postby Cat Sith » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:40 pm

I quote them for two reasons --

1. When I want to retain the original. Some people don't post the original and revision them when they edit. I like to see how poems develop when it's one I've taken an interest in. Also, sometimes comments/responses don't make sense when someone has edited their original - so while the comments may help the original poster, it's not helpful for anybody who sees it afterwards if the original post has been edited. I've come in late on poems often and wondered "what the heck -- wish I would have seen the original" . . .

2. When I want to make comments in line.

Otherwise, I don't usually quote.

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm

I hear you. It's just that if everybody quotes and leave it there, there is a problem of sorts, as I listed. Please continue. As you were, I should say.

Return to “Forum information.”