April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Indenting

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

riverwriter
Site Admin

Indenting

Postby riverwriter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:10 am

Indenting may be achieved if you employ BBCode. The slickest way to do this is to paste the indented text from a word processor. Note that there is now a "pre" button above the posting window.
1. using pasted tabbed text:

Code: Select all

[pre]
Xxxxx
   xxxxx
xxxxx
      xxxxx
[/pre]

Posts as

Xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx

2. Using typed in text with spaces for indentations:

[pre]
Xxxxx
 xxxxx   (there is a space placed at the front of this line)
  xxxxx
   xxxxx
[/pre]

posts as

Xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx
xxxxx

To show the code without activating it, I had to post it in a code window.

To gain access to information about BBCode, click on the BBCode hyperlink to the right of the posting window. It is just under the smiles.

For other questions, click on the FAQ link at the top of pretty well every page.
If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Re: Indenting

Postby Agnes » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:49 pm

:shock: That just plain hurts my brain.

Pre? Where's the pre? So you type it with code on, then turn code off in options before you submit? Or leave the code on?

[color=#FFFFFF]xxxxx[color=#FF0000]This crap is red[code][/code][/color][/color]

:? Still no pre. I just see code in the preview window. That's annoying.

Wait. There's the pre...way over-------------------------------->there. Preserves format of pasted text. Okay. Click it. Then I get pre pre code in brackets. I paste between the pres, right? Crap. I don't have anything to paste. One second...
Okay. Got something. Pasting it between pres.
This is crap
with no purpose
beyond
Agnes' amusement......
Er...I mean beyond
Agnes' education. Pay no attention
to the man
behind the curtain.........................
or the panties on
his head.

I tabbed that, but it doesn't show that it works in preview. Okay, I'm hitting "Submit" now.

Agnes

Edit. Crap. Nothing. Okay, now I'm gonna disable BBCode and preview. Looks like it works, except for the "this crap is red" line. I'm hitting submit again.

Okay. I got the tabs right, kind of, but the red line still didn't work. I need a nap now.

Agnes

riverwriter
Site Admin

Re: Indenting

Postby riverwriter » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Sorry if my explanation was confusing. I used "code" only to allow the format to show. You do not use it unless you want to show a code sample.

It is also possible to type BBCode without using the buttons above.

One of the typos I make when I am typing BBCode is that I sometimes mistakenly press the "shift" key and end up with { instead of [

Anyway, I expect this opens new possibilities for us all. I recall Charly's first experience with punctuation when his brain was improving.
If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

Return to “General Discussion”