April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Bots and Zeugma

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

riverwriter
Site Admin

Bots and Zeugma

Postby riverwriter » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 am

As I was going through the security settings for the new board version, I came upon settings for bots. The default is no restrictions. That makes me wonder if we want bots such as Yahoo and Google to have access to Zeugma.

I am going to turn bots' access off for the time being until I hear differently from the membership. Let me know what you think by responding to this post.
If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Re: Bots and Zeugma

Postby Agnes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:28 pm

It doesn't really matter to me, but it can be a problem for someone who doesn't want to be found...or who gives out personal information here that s/he regrets. That happened. Someone from way back posted at my blog that she wanted her personal info removed from here. Her last name, I think it was. I might have told her to try to find riverwriter.

Do I look like housekeeping? 8)

Also, some writers might prefer their workshop stuff not be viewed by folks outside the group.

If you don't want to turn off search bots, you could just give a warning reminder in the registration process somewhere.

Agnes

Jabberwhacky

Postby Jabberwhacky » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:22 am

I remember this post by Riverwriter from some time back. It did not get a response and Bots were allowed to access the site which sort of made the original query insignificant.

I suggest we keep the bots access off and see how that pans out - or at least till someone screams 'bots the matter with zeugma :p'

R

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:32 am

ravi wrote:I remember this post by Riverwriter from some time back.
R

Crap. Guess I missed the date on that. That's what happens when ya let spiders build webs all over the place, you know. Can't see a friggin' thing. ::hands Ravi a broom::

Agnes ;)

Jabberwhacky

Postby Jabberwhacky » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:10 pm

Is that to spank a BOTtom wid??

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:48 pm

I have deactivated all :smt067 bots.

Return to “General Discussion”