And:

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge:
That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions:

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Native American poetry

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
sdunford
Vicar of Villanelles
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Native American poetry

Postby sdunford » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:58 pm

Anyone out there read poems by Native Americans? Any favorite poets/poems?

lars2
Vicar of Villanelles

Postby lars2 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:20 pm

I have never read a native american poet but have always been interested in their thinking - particularly their belief systems.

Jim Harrison, the novelist from upper Michigan has written some very interesting and appealing stories of Brown Dog, a native american whose predicaments and adventures are humorous and insightful.

Harrison's latest book "Returning to Earth" has a first section about a character who is predominantly native american in his attitudes and convictions. Even if you don't finish the book this first segment is a knockout.

Last, there is a book called "The Education of Little Tree" about a boy who is raised by native american grandparents. This is insightful - interestingly the man who wrote the book was a bigot and a klansman.

I know I haven't answered the specific question but these are some things I have read that I feel are very descriptive of the thought and culture.

If you find any native american poetry you consider worthy post its identity here. I'd like to read it.

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 pm

Do you include all North American native poets? If so, you should have a look at Pauline Johnson.

Here is a link to get you started: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/canv ... 201-e.html
If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

sdunford
Vicar of Villanelles

Native American Py

Postby sdunford » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:16 am

here are some that i have read:

Joy Harjo
Sherman Alexie
Barney Bush
Luci Tapahonso

there are many, many others.

dan has a cold
haiku hacker

Re: Native American poetry

Postby dan has a cold » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:08 pm

I recently read Gary Soto's "One Kind of Faith" and was really impressed with it. I've also read Harjo.

Good stuff.

Sunflower
Sestina Slinger

Postby Sunflower » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 pm

Joy Harjo of course is wonderful but also N. Scott Momaday, both Native Okies

alanrh
Renga Wrangler

Postby alanrh » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi sdunford, i'm not often on this site but it caught my eye native American poetry....being a lime....i don't normally have access to that writing but i picked up
a Native American anthology of songs and poems...edited by Brian Swann...Dover books...isbn 0-486-29450-1...web...www.doverpublications.com
hope thats of some use....the book i have is a terrific read and insight to the American Indians....superb buy...only £1-90p in the uk!!!....the only trouble is....
there's not enough of it over here ie lime!! cheers, Alanrh.
alanrh

Return to “General Discussion”