April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Getting board error messages? Post them here.

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:40 pm

I have (hopefully) cleared up a problem where the board was not keeping you logged in. If you have "keep me logged in" checked, it should - keep you logged in. Be aware this only keeps you logged in so many days, so keep your password handy.

garsy
Tanka Tinkerer

404 error

Postby garsy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:27 pm

Having problem posting new topic. I get 404 error up.
Garsy
Chow4now,
Garsy

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:13 pm

I can't duplicate this. Anyone else having this problem?

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:33 pm

I wonder if this is a server overload problem. I run another forum for our Barbershop chorus with this ISP, and we get quite a few errors over there. They report as database errors, although diagnosis of the database always comes up clean. The log shows that the database was not available.
If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:46 pm

That would make sense, and that would also make it intermittent.

brandelfly
Sestina Slinger

Just joined... can't post.

Postby brandelfly » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:49 pm

I just registered yesterday and am anxious to post and reply. All indications at the bottom of the page are that I CAN do all of these things, but when I try to post, I get this error message:

You don't have permission to access /posting.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Am I doing something wrong?

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:40 pm

I think this is happening occasionally when the server is overloaded and can't access the database. Try again...

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:07 pm

It is also possible that your connection has timed out. You might try logging out and logging in to see if you can post right after logging in. I have had that problem on several forums.
If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

brandelfly
Sestina Slinger

Postby brandelfly » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:11 pm

Are only certain people allowed to post in the poetry forum? I wondered if that was an issue, but all indications were that I had access?

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:03 pm

If you can post here, you can post there.

brandelfly
Sestina Slinger

Postby brandelfly » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:07 pm

Unfortunately, I can't. I've tried to add a new post to that forum for the past two days, including just now. I've had no problem posting here, obviously.
Any ideas?

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:40 am

I just posted a test post, and it went up all right. It is possible that a very long post will not go up.

If you are clicking on "Preview", it will give you a look at what the post looks like, but you then have to click "Submit". Surely that can't be it, since you are posting here. I don't know what else to suggest.

If nothing else works, you might try posting your poem in the poetry critiquing forum as a response to my test post, and I will change the post title, and so forth so that it becomes your post. The other thing we could do is for you to PM it to me, and I will post it. I would prefer that it would go up directly from you, though.

We'll get it up somehow.

brandelfly
Sestina Slinger

Postby brandelfly » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:34 am

Well... it's a mystery. I tried to send a one line reply to your test post on the poetry forum and couldn't. For some reason, it's like the site won't recognize that I can post anything there. I even checked to see if there are any weird settings in my profile that might be causing the problem. I'd hate to have to always PM poems/comments through you to participate. Do you think registering again would make any difference?

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:11 am

I'll bow to Gary on this.

garsy
Tanka Tinkerer

Re inability to post

Postby garsy » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:04 pm

I have just attempted to Copy and Paste the error message I had saved in Wordpad when I was having these problems way back and found I couldn't post here.
If this gets through, is it possible there is a conflict with this function and the data base server?
I have not come across this before, though.
Chow4now,

Garsy

Return to “General Discussion”