April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Getting board error messages? Post them here.

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Getting board error messages? Post them here.

Postby Gary » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:24 am

If you are seeing error messages or otherwise having technical difficulty with the board, please post here... anyone else, like Agnes getting 504 gateway errors?

agraceblue
Renga Wrangler

504 gateway errors

Postby agraceblue » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:19 pm

Yeppers. I get them too. Sometimes when I try to answer an email notification, sometimes when I am onsite and try to view a posting, and sometimes when I try to post. There seems to be no pattern that I can discern; if however I go to the archives of a persons postings and open the original post or a reply then it will open for me straight from the forum. Agraceblue

Cat Sith
Renga Wrangler

Postby Cat Sith » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:17 pm

Got my first error today. Didn't last long but this is what it said:

-----------------------------------------
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Jabberwhacky

Postby Jabberwhacky » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:13 pm

I got that too around 2AM my time and then a server may be busy / down message.

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:25 pm

We had a hiccup today; nothing serious but the machine was down today briefly. All servers have to be rebooted periodically. Trying to account for everyone's different time zones (and Ravi's time zone is VERY different), I think you both saw the same thing. I'll keep an eye on it.

Cat Sith
Renga Wrangler

Postby Cat Sith » Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:06 am

Gary,

Just wanted to report that the search engine is temperamental. First off, it doesn't always return things that I *know* are there because I was looking at them at the time, and even changing case, etc didn't get results. Then I get this:

You cannot make another search so soon after your last; please try again in a short while.

... which I thought was pretty amusing actually. It seems to work sometimes, but other times.... I dunno. :smt102

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:08 pm

Searching - searching is fairly resource-intensive for the board, so it does things that are non-intuitive sometimes. Like if you search for an extremely common term, it will not return results. Not sure how it decides what an extremely common term is...

While this sounds incredibly asinine, and is sometimes inconvenient, it makes a certain amount of sense if you think of it this way - how many posts on this board do you suppose use the word "poem"? So if you searched for that term, you'd get - I dunno - 1,000+ matches? A huge amount of work for the server to perform, and probably a bunch of search results that are useless anyway.

Try Advanced Search (the link below the Go button in the quick search box) for more - advanced searches that may be more helpful in finding a post.

And yes, it does throttle number of searches per user by a time interval. Again, this is by design to keep from slowing the board down too much. I'll see if I can shorten the interval.

agraceblue
Renga Wrangler

Postby agraceblue » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:53 pm

Hello Gary. I still have ongoing battles with AOL from time to time but this is something new. I do not receive any notification of replies. I checked in my profile and everything is turned on so any idea why no replies are being forwarded from Zeugma to me? Thanks. Michael

Nacona
Renga Wrangler

Postby Nacona » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:02 pm

I am with Gracie, I am not getting any e-mail notification for replies, I noticed it last night, but it was working fine two days ago. Thanks!

Cheers!

Shawn Nacona
"I wonder if the artist ever lives his life--he is so busy recreating it."--Anne Sexton

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:38 pm

Can one of you who is having trouble with getting e-mail notifications try changing your e-mail address in your profile to something other than an AOL account and see if the problem continues? I hate to blame everything on AOL, but it seems almost everyone who has trouble with this board is using AOL. AOL is big on the "blacklist" approach to solving spam problems for members, which means they block whole ranges of IP addresses. This is like refusing to deliver mail from a whole city because someone from that city sends you junk mail... anywho, I'm getting notifications, so it seems to be working. Someone using something other than AOL chime in and I'll dig further...

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:27 pm

Gary wrote:Can one of you who is having trouble with getting e-mail notifications try changing your e-mail address in your profile to something other than an AOL account and see if the problem continues? I hate to blame everything on AOL, but it seems almost everyone who has trouble with this board is using AOL. AOL is big on the "blacklist" approach to solving spam problems for members, which means they block whole ranges of IP addresses. This is like refusing to deliver mail from a whole city because someone from that city sends you junk mail... anywho, I'm getting notifications, so it seems to be working. Someone using something other than AOL chime in and I'll dig further...

I have AOL, but I don't use it to access Zeugma anymore. I haven't noticed problems getting notified of new private messages on my AOL email, though. That's where they go.

Agnes

Cat Sith
Renga Wrangler

Postby Cat Sith » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:32 pm

My PM Notifications go to email but the "spam filter" catches them. I check spam every day though (luckily I don't get much) so I just tell it "this is not spam" so it doesn't miss it next time. Not sure if that's helpful. I just signed up for the notify by email for posts to see if it works with my AOL account or not. I'll let you know.

Kim

Gary
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Gary » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:50 pm

Yes, the olde spam filter is responsible for many "lost" messages. Let me know if this one trips your radar or not.

agraceblue
Renga Wrangler

Postby agraceblue » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:45 pm

Gary wrote:Yes, the olde spam filter is responsible for many "lost" messages. Let me know if this one trips your radar or not.

Nope it didn't. I have my filter set on 'low' and have (and continue) to curse AOL roundly on a daily basis :lol: At least it is not taking 5 minutes to load a page anymore so there is progress being made. Thanks. Michael

Cat Sith
Renga Wrangler

Postby Cat Sith » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:12 am

Gary wrote:Yes, the olde spam filter is responsible for many "lost" messages. Let me know if this one trips your radar or not.

Gary,

I've been watching this and they don't come in through AOL, even on the spam filter.

Kim

Return to “General Discussion”