April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Question about organization of posting for critiques

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

riverwriter
Site Admin

Question about organization of posting for critiques

Postby riverwriter » Sun May 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Years ago, when I was a member of Wild Poetry Forum (which still exists, by the way), they had numerous distinct places to post poems for critique. They included (according to my vague recollection)

1. a place to practice posting and try out the forum,
2. a place for beginners to post for general critiques given in an encouraging manner
3. a place for medium experience and positive criticism only
4. a place for advanced poets who wanted professional criticism
5. a place for erotic work

Is that accurate?

Anyway, I have a question about the concept: would some form of that be useful here?

My reason for asking is that sometimes I post a piece that I am stymied by, about which I would like to ask specific questions.

Sometimes I am posting a fairly polished piece for which I would like a keen-eyed reaction.

Maybe the point is that I should just say what I am looking for, or maybe it is easier to have different slots for the different situations.

I am fairly certain Agnes will throw eggs of a certain maturity at the idea, but I propose the concept anyway. :smt006

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Re: Question about organization of posting for critiques

Postby Agnes » Sun May 04, 2014 6:46 pm

riverwriter wrote:Years ago, when I was a member of Wild Poetry Forum (which still exists, by the way), they had numerous distinct places to post poems for critique. They included (according to my vague recollection)

1. a place to practice posting and try out the forum,
2. a place for beginners to post for general critiques given in an encouraging manner
3. a place for medium experience and positive criticism only
4. a place for advanced poets who wanted professional criticism
5. a place for erotic work

Is that accurate?

Anyway, I have a question about the concept: would some form of that be useful here?

My reason for asking is that sometimes I post a piece that I am stymied by, about which I would like to ask specific questions.

Sometimes I am posting a fairly polished piece for which I would like a keen-eyed reaction.

Maybe the point is that I should just say what I am looking for, or maybe it is easier to have different slots for the different situations.

I am fairly certain Agnes will throw eggs of a certain maturity at the idea, but I propose the concept anyway. :smt006

If you want a specific type of feedback, then you could ask for it in a note posted with the poem. That's probably the best and easiest way to handle it. Like with the veggie poem you just posted today. A little note on the type of feedback (format, punctuation, content, etc.) you actually want would probably be helpful--to me, anyway.

I don't know if it's the same Wild, but the Wild I'm familiar with has a color code for members based on the type of critique they're looking for. Members' names appear in the color font for the type of critique/response they desire on their work. That's okay if you're looking to eat a rainbow. I got indigestion yesterday when I saw all the neon green fonts. [Bless you for removing that, by the way. :lol: ] I don't think Wild has separate sections for different levels of poetry critique. Wild does have a section for erotica, and one for prompts/games/joint endeavors, and a challenge section, and one for discussion. Perhaps one section for critique and one section for workshop would be okay here. To my mind, these are separate things, and I typically don't expect to workshop the stuff I post in critique. I don't know if anyone here has the time or energy to put in the effort it takes to do a thorough job at either criticism or line-by-line technical (mechanical?) workshopping. Perhaps that will change if we can recruit more poets. I don't know.

By the way, I only throw ceramic eggs that are full of confetti. :p

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Sun May 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks, Agnes. I appreciate your response. A note probably.

Cat Sith
Renga Wrangler

Postby Cat Sith » Mon May 05, 2014 11:40 am

Agnes pretty much covered it. I can add a few tidbits.

- The Erotica folder at WPF is password protected, so you have to ask for permission (probably confirm you are 18+). I've never checked it out personally, and to be honest, I don't think there is much happening in there. You can see the date stamp for the most recent posts.

- The colored usernames correspond to heavy critique or light critique. I do find this useful when responding to people, because it gives me an idea of how much feedback they want, or are comfortable with. However, I don't think it's necessary.

- Looking for specific help: I'm in favor of the note vs segregated folders. I would probably just reply to my own post with what I am looking for, or put a note after the poem at the bottom, only because I personally like people to first read without any bias. I never really thought about critique vs workshop. I guess critique is "how do you like it' and workshop is "I need help, something isn't working"? I suppose that may be helpful, though right now we don't have a lot of active users, so ...

DougH
Pantoum Pounder

Postby DougH » Tue May 06, 2014 5:41 pm

The color code at Wild is something new since I was there.

I left Wild because there were some really young very arrogant people there who really got in the way of serious discussion. It sounds as though that has changed.

I like Cat's idea of posting a reply later indicating what you are looking for. I like the discussion that is happening around my vegetable poem, as Agnes calls it. There has not really been any specific critique, but there is a process happening.

Return to “General Discussion”