April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Self-publishing discussion

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Self-publishing discussion

Postby Agnes » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:20 pm

(I posted this before, but the thread got vaporized in the recent blackout)

I'd like to start a discussion about self-publishing. Anyone with any insight about Lulu and/or other publishing services, please share. Helpful hints?

Cat Sith
Renga Wrangler

Re: Self-publishing discussion

Postby Cat Sith » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:50 pm

I, of course, know nothing. I'm interested to see what others think on this.

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:16 am

::tap tap tap:: Is this thing on?

:lol:

olson29
Renga Wrangler

Postby olson29 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:40 am

i hope to publish someday, maybe.
Joan wrote a beautiful book, it's actually quite magnificent.
I'm sure the both of you would also put together something incredible. Beyond words, the three of you are excellent and poignant and fun poets
you are poetry

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:50 pm

WordPerfect has a program, WordPerfect eBook Publisher, that converts files to eBook format that can be posted directly to services like Amazon.

If you Google self publishing ebooks, you will see a substantial list of resources.

The experience I have with self-publishing in print media is through friends who have tried it. They universally end up with 2,000 copies in their basement. Self-publishing in print is brutal. I advise against it.

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:49 pm

riverwriter wrote:WordPerfect has a program, WordPerfect eBook Publisher, that converts files to eBook format that can be posted directly to services like Amazon.

If you Google self publishing ebooks, you will see a substantial list of resources.

The experience I have with self-publishing in print media is through friends who have tried it. They universally end up with 2,000 copies in their basement. Self-publishing in print is brutal. I advise against it.

I learned WordPerfect about 25 years ago. Suppose it's changed much since then? LOL

Doesn't Lulu do print on demand? So, you wouldn't end up with 2000 copies unless you ordered and paid for them. I don't think you have to order a set amount, do you? I don't know. I'm not even sure what my name is today.

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm

WordPerfect still has reveal codes and macros are much the same. I started with WordPerfect 4, back in about 1986, when everything was DOS.

All I know about Lulu is that she left Sluggo to become the Kleenex poster girl: "Soft, strong, pops up too! Kleenex Tissues are made for you!" -- but that's from the fifties, when the world was black and white and one or two shades of gray otherwise known as 24 dpi.

JmPasc
Renga Wrangler

Postby JmPasc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:50 am

I published my book on lulu.com, going through a number of versions. Fortunately, it's very cheap to publish on this web site. Yes, you can order only one book at a time if you wish (or even none at all and just look at the PDF). Their web site is set up pretty well, although their tech support is almost nonexistent. For my purpose, it was good enough. I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have about using lulu.com. I was quite satisfied with it, in general -- and it's a huge improvement from the vanity presses that used to be the only option for self publishing.

Joan

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:40 pm

I purchased WordPerfect 6 a few months back, so I suppose I could purchase the e-book add-on. I found it http://www.corel.com/corel/product/inde ... ageCode=en The downside of the e-book thing would be not having hard copy. I like hard copy.

I guess I could do both. Ugh.

Joan, what format did you choose for your poetry book at Lulu? It's been over a year since I've been on that site, and I'm a bit hazy on what was there. I remember they offered a poetry book format. Is that the one you used?

I'm not even sure what direction I'd want to go as far as content. Old poems. New poems. A mix of old and new poems. Theme? So much to think about, and I'm quite the procrastinator.

Feel free to hurl ideas at my head, people. I need some incentive.

8)

JmPasc
Renga Wrangler

Postby JmPasc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Dear Olson,

Thanks for the compliment. :smt055

Joan

JmPasc
Renga Wrangler

Postby JmPasc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Dear Agnes,

I don't know anything about Word Perfect, and I didn't buy any new software.

I did not use their poetry book format. That would probably work best if all the poems in the book were very short. You could even have drawings in soft focus. :lol: I wanted my book of poems to look professional, so I looked at the books of famous poets I admired, and imitated what they did as far as size of pages, number of poems included, shape of pages (vertical format), regular font and quality of paper. I used 6 inch by 9 inch size. Nothing cutesy! For lulu, you can submit computer files in Word and in PDF, maybe a few other formats, I don't remember. For me it worked best to submit the manuscript in PDF and then I ordered one copy, decided what changes to make, ordered another copy, etc. -- there's really something about seeing it as an actual book that made me confident of what I liked and didn't like. I thought Lulu.com's suggested cover designs were ugly, so instead I used a photo I had taken. When I am ready to sell to the public, I plan to do it through lulu and amazon, and let people decide for themselves whether they'd rather buy it in book form or as an ebook. I plan to have several of the poems on a web site for the book, and a button letting people be directed to lulu or to amazon. I am not figuring on doing a lot of publicity, just a bit, online.

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:13 pm

JmPasc wrote:Dear Agnes,

I don't know anything about Word Perfect, and I didn't buy any new software.

I did not use their poetry book format. That would probably work best if all the poems in the book were very short. You could even have drawings in soft focus. :lol: I wanted my book of poems to look professional, so I looked at the books of famous poets I admired, and imitated what they did as far as size of pages, number of poems included, shape of pages (vertical format), regular font and quality of paper. I used 6 inch by 9 inch size. Nothing cutesy! For lulu, you can submit computer files in Word and in PDF, maybe a few other formats, I don't remember. For me it worked best to submit the manuscript in PDF and then I ordered one copy, decided what changes to make, ordered another copy, etc. -- there's really something about seeing it as an actual book that made me confident of what I liked and didn't like. I thought Lulu.com's suggested cover designs were ugly, so instead I used a photo I had taken. When I am ready to sell to the public, I plan to do it through lulu and amazon, and let people decide for themselves whether they'd rather buy it in book form or as an ebook. I plan to have several of the poems on a web site for the book, and a button letting people be directed to lulu or to amazon. I am not figuring on doing a lot of publicity, just a bit, online.

Thanks, Joan.

Does Lulu have an e-book converter thingy, or will you have to reformat your book to sell it in ebook form?

I think I'd also do a photo for my cover. What that might be depends on the theme or whatever of the collection, I guess. I'm still not sure about what direction to go with that. I'm not really sure about anything. :lol:

JmPasc
Renga Wrangler

Postby JmPasc » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Lulu.com converts your files from Word to ePub files for free, so one submitted file works for both the paper bound book and the ebook. The margins are a bit tricky, but I read up on publication guidelines, and got it right in PDF format. The Word files shifted around slightly.

The only thing that really annoyed me was that each page of my book has the page number on the right hand side, rather than the left hand pages having numbers on the left side of the page, and the right hand pages having page numbers on the right side. I worked at this several times, and cratered every time, finally gave up. I KNOW it was possible, but despite reading forum notes, help pages etc., never figured out how.

Joan

Return to “General Discussion”