April is, indeed, the cruelest month . . .

And:

It's National Poetry Month!

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge: Every Day a Poem - Challenge

That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions: How to Join

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

Quantity over quality? But it works

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

riverwriter
Site Admin

Quantity over quality? But it works

Postby riverwriter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:32 am

Yesterday I posted my 1000th original poem in my blog, wordcurrents, where, except for a hiatus of fourteen months, I have posted a new poem every day since February 2006.

Not every poem is a "keeper" (as anglers say), but I am pleased with most of them. You may wish to drop by and comment.

In the space of a month, over 2000 visitors read wordcurrents. You can see where they are from by clicking on the link at the end of this sentence, and typing "30" in the "Time" slot: wordcurrents' Visitors' Map. If you hover your cursor over any of the orange dots, the name of the location comes up.

I started this project to jolt myself out of a seven year writer's block. I had always known that I needed a deadline to work, and an editor to create the pressure. In this case, the deadline was the promise to post a new poem every day, and the editor was each reader/subscriber. And it worked. This has been my own personal NaPoWriMo project, except that the time span is open-ended. I have discovered that the experience has really established sold links between the synapses I need to work in order to tap into my right brain (that's a dig, Agnes :badgrin: )

Here's a preview of the map, in case you're shy about loading the link:
If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

Jabberwhacky

Re: Quantity over quality? But it works

Postby Jabberwhacky » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:29 am

Congratulations Riverwriter!

May you have many more! Somehow you have succeded in retaining quality in that quantum of work too. Amazing!

Ravi

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:29 am

:D Thanks, Ravi, If working at this pace proves anything, it is that quantity of work has a place in quality. But it also produces clunkers: I can recall whole weeks when I hoped nobody was reading wordcurrents because of the crap I was turning out. But mainly, I am happy about the effect of constant practice on my ability to write. And the nice thing about publishing on line is that you can always go back and revise.

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:26 am

Congrats, Riverwriter. Dig away. That's why I'm so groovy. :p You have about 10X the number of posts as I do on my blog. (I started in in Feb 06 too, I think. Around then.) Mine aren't all poems either. I don't have a visitor counter. If I had one of those maps, it'd probably have 10 dots total. :lol:

Agnes

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:36 pm

Thanks, Agnes, but remember, just between you and me (and if you tell anybody, I never said it) I'm a single-minded (but double brained of course) poet/fanatic. :smt119

olson29
Renga Wrangler

Postby olson29 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:39 pm

riverwriter wrote::D Thanks, Ravi, it is that quantity of work has a place in quality. But it also produces clunkers: I am happy about the effect of constant practice on my ability to write. And the nice thing about publishing on line is that you can always go back and revise.

I totally agree

O
you are poetry

Michelle
Tanka Tinkerer

Postby Michelle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Congrats, Riverwriter!! That's quite an accomplishment. I just started my blog yesterday...http://scribbledblackink.blogspot.com/
I'll add you to my blogroll!
Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?
-Sylvia Plath

JmPasc
Renga Wrangler

Postby JmPasc » Mon May 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Good for you, riverwriter! I agree that there's something about keeping on writing that is good for the soul and good for the writing. Sometimes even when I write a poem I reject, there's one word or one thought that sticks in my mind, ready for using in a different poem, even if years later.

Joan

Return to “General Discussion”