And:

Members: Check out Cat Sith's Challenge:
That is why you should join Zeugma. We're strong enough to help.

For instructions:

Prose writers welcome, too! It's all write . . .

The question of poems that might offend

Anything (within reason) goes...

Moderators: Gary, riverwriter, Poetry Moderators

riverwriter
Site Admin

The question of poems that might offend

Postby riverwriter » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:54 am

I have just engaged in a very amicable discussion with two of our members about a piece posted in "Poems for Critique", which one of them found offensive.

I indicated that we do not wish to censor work posted, and I suggested that the poster might wish to remove it or revise it. There was implicit in that the opportunity to leave it as is. The poster chose to remove it.

This raises the issue of political correctness in these posts, and censorship and, as a corollary, whether we should set aside a section of the forum for posts that the poster is concerned may be offensive.

I have discussed this with Ravi, our poetry moderator, and I am opening that discussion here. This discussion is about good taste, I suppose, and how to allow for diversity of opinion and taste while encouraging freedom of expression and even artistic license.

Jabberwhacky

Re: The question of poems that might offend

Postby Jabberwhacky » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:06 pm

A very pertinent discussion which I hope some, even all, of our members respond to and express their views openly about.

Thank you for initiating this thread Riverwriter.

Ravi

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:25 pm

Michelle
Tanka Tinkerer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Michelle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:45 pm

I'm with Agnes. Some of the most important poetry/books/music...etc. ever written was/is considered offensive to someone or to lots of someones. I didn't read the piece in question, but in general putting up a little warning about strong language or graphic themes would be more than enough warning to the reader when posting a poem that you're concerned about. A little tag in the subject line or at the top before posting the work would be sufficient enough for me, that way no one has to read anything they feel may offend them.
Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?
-Sylvia Plath

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:06 am

If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

Jabberwhacky

Postby Jabberwhacky » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:12 am

I think a good point has been made by all, and Michelle has come up with a workable solution worth considering. Perhaps such signage is best carried out by a moderator....is there any way to add that application? Is there such an application at all which permits a caveat be included in the title / subject of the work?

Ravi

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:08 am

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:51 am

You will note that I have enabled a feature that puzzling ly, was not enabled. We now have a new row of icons above every post/Reply screen: "Post icon" If you wish to indicate a post may offend or otherwise shock or dismay a reader, you could use the radiation symbol or the flame or the blush icons.

I will post an explanation of the use as a warning, if you want to go this route.

Note that I have used the "Information" icon on this post. I can enlarge the icons somewhat, and can search out or invent others.

Jabberwhacky

Postby Jabberwhacky » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:05 am

I see the row of icons.....radiation is good :)

Ravi

Agnes
Renga Wrangler

Postby Agnes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:58 am

Michelle
Tanka Tinkerer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Michelle » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Nice idea guys. I think that the blushing person could be used for a poem with mature themes, the caution sign for ones with cursing or language that might offend, and the radiation symbol would be for something that you know people might be truly offended by, like a very racist poem etc. I don't really think that it'll stop me from reading anything, but at least if there was a little warning icon posted then no one will have anything to complain about because if they read something that offends them, it's their own fault!
Can a selfish egocentric jealous and unimaginative female write a damn thing worthwhile?
-Sylvia Plath

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:18 pm

If I ask a question, it is rhetorical: do not post the answer; rather, consider the answer and see where it leads you.

When people tell you something's wrong or doesn't work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong. -- Neil Gaiman
"Honest criticism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger." -- Franklin P. Jones

olson29
Renga Wrangler

Postby olson29 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Just Read the Thread

Love you all, it's real love.
I've been wanting to use the
Microwave for a long time, yummy.
Love what you put thought into.
I think it would be fun to add
More dimensions to a poem.
Link the beauty
Always.

O
you are poetry

Jabberwhacky

Postby Jabberwhacky » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:09 am

Here's to more icono-classed poesy!

riverwriter
Site Admin

Postby riverwriter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Return to “General Discussion”